According to the USDA's 2019 Household Food Insecurity in the United States Report, more than 37 million people in the United States struggle with hunger.
- In 2018, 14.3 million American households were food insecure with limited or uncertain access to enough food. Currently, 11 million children live in food-insecure households.
- In California, 5,354,400 people are struggling with hunger - and 1,638,430 are children.
- Every community in the country is home to families who struggle with food insecurity including rural and suburban communities.
People right here in our suburban and rural communities also struggle with hunger and food insecurity in El Dorado, Nevada and Placer Counties - the counties Placer Food Bank serves:
- Over 80,000 (1-in-7) individuals do not know where their next meal will come from.
- Over 26,000 (1-in-5) are children.
- 30% of seniors in our region report having to choose between food and paying for medicine or medical care.
Skipping meals. Racking up debt. How inflation is squeezing single parents.
Oprah gives $1M to Feeding America: See this Instagram video by @oprah
Food banks struggle as demand explodes (CNN) Read more
Jeff Bezos $100M donation to Feeding America (CNN)
Pandemic Effects could leave 54 million Americans without food (The Guardian)
14 million children are going hungry due to the COVID-19 crisis (HuffPost)
Millions of hungry Americans turn to food banks for 1st time (AP)