The Face of Hunger
Hunger is an all but hidden epidemic in Placer Food Bank’s communities. Nearly 71,000 individuals in El Dorado, Nevada, and Placer Counties do not know where there next meal will come from.
More often than not, the hungry are hard-working adults, children and seniors who simply cannot make ends meet. Many are forced to choose between paying for rent, medicine, or transportation and buying food; missing daily meals or going without food for days.
Local Hunger Facts:
- Hunger is a reality for 1 in 7 individuals living in El Dorado, Nevada, and Placer Counties
- 1 in 5 of these individuals is a child
- 30% of seniors in our region report having to choose between food and paying for medicine or medical care
- 37% of the families receiving food from our network partners have one or more working adults in the household
We understand that nourishment is a basic human need that must be met before one can rise above their circumstance. Placer Food Bank supplies our local hunger-relief partners with the food necessary to bring hope and nourishment to those in need, so that they can focus on what matters most: raising their children, supporting their families, and giving back to their community.
In Fiscal Year 2015/2016 the Placer Food Bank:
- Distributed 7 million pounds of food to our hunger-relief partners
- Served an average of 70,800 individuals each month in cooperation with our partner agencies
- Partnered with more than 83 charities and hunger-relief organizations
- Leveraged 19,500 volunteer hours to support our daily operations
- Leveraged each $1 in cash donations to procure $8 in groceries through Feeding America partners
- 2016/2017 990
- 2015/2016 990
- 2014/2015 Annual Report
- 2014/2015 990
- 2013/2014 Annual Report
- 2013/2014 990
- 2012/2013 Annual Report
Hunger in Our Community and Abroad
Learn more about what hunger looks like in our community and abroad by visiting the Map the Meal Gap Interactive Map provided by Feeding America below. This map contains data for overall and child food-insecurity rates for every county and congressional district in the United States.